Wednesday, August 17, 2011

According to Twitter, I Have a Niece

Have you ever gotten that call from somebody who’s just had a baby? You know the one where you all you say is “Hello?” and they say, “It’s a girl! *insert full girl name* She was born today August 17, 2011 at 3:47 AM! She’s 7lbs 8oz and is 21 inches long! She barely has any hair, but it’s so cute. She looks just like my dad. Come meet her later today. We’re at this hospital.” At which point you realize you better jump in if you want to get more than one word in. So you say something like, “Aw. Congrats. She sounds so cute. I can’t wait to meet her…” Has anyone else ever had this kind of conversation? The kind where the parents are so excited they couldn’t keep the details to themselves if they tried.

So naturally I was expecting all of the details when Mr. S, my husband, texted me that his brother called with news that his baby had been born,. But when I didn’t get another text with details I started texting questions back, “When, gender, name, size, … ?” Mr. S didn’t know any of it. So I called him to ask. He said his brother wouldn’t give him any details even though he asked. I thought they wanted to tell us in person. Nope. No invite to come visit them in the hospital. Weird.

Later that night I was dying of curiosity.  We still hadn’t heard anything so I check my sister-in-law’s blog, twitter, and facebook fanpage. Guess what?! There it was on twitter along with a photo of said baby. They had a baby girl. I have my first niece.

Then it hit me. I know we aren’t closest to them, but to not even be on the list of people who get a phone call with the stats or an invite kind of stings. This baby only has two uncles and two aunts. Mr. S and I have up two of those. But then again why am I surprised? When I think of it, I don’t think I have ever heard Sean’s brother or his wife refer to us as their first child’s aunt and uncle.

As much as I would like to say, “oh well, I don’t give a shit about them anyways.” I can’t because the truth is I do. I have to see these people at holidays and birthdays. These people are my family whether I like it or not. Sure I could fill a book with all of the negative things that they have done to  Mr. S and I, but it still hurt realizing that they don't consider us family.

It makes me wonder what kind of relationship my children will have with their cousins.

No comments: