Saturday, July 9, 2011

Home Birth

The other day I ran across an article about home birth.

I was really excited to see it because I am very interested in home birth if I am ever lucky enough to give birth. When I was younger, around 19, I was really into watching baby delivery shows on TV (bringing home baby, special delivery, birth day, ...). Thank you TLC and Discovery Health channels. I was thinking about switching to some kind of career in labor and delivery. I saw an episode where a woman gave birth to twin in her bathroom at home. It looked so much easier and peaceful than the hospital births. The woman was basically alone so she could listen to her body instead of a handful of medical professionals telling her what to do. The thing that attracted me most to the home birth was that she delivered the babies squatting. Squatting seems like a much better way to push out babies than laying on your back in a hospital bed. Since then I have watched the two Duggar grandchildren being born at home on TV. I'm sold!

Back to the article, I never thought about having a home birth to save money on medical bills or to avoid being scared into a C-section. The safety stats at the end of the article we pretty encouraging.

Of course I would have to do more research and give birth in a hospital if I had complications during pregnancy, but I really want to plan for a home birth. Assuming I can get pregnant that is. So in the next five years I want to watch the movie "The Business of Being Born," and read some books, blogs, or TV series about home birth. I have plenty of time though, but it is definitely something I want to learn a lot about before I actually get pregnant so I can focus on planning for the baby not the delivery while I'm pregnant.

What do you think about home birth? Have you had a home birth? Do you know anyone who has? Have you found any good resources on home birth?

No comments: